IGCC & RGCA "Be a Hero" Initiative
Diversity & Inclusion Advocacy Board
As we continue to battle through COVID-19 and the impact on our economy, we are also dealing with the aftermath of George Floyd's tragic death, which has brought systemic racism and injustice under a worldwide spotlight. Globally, there are calls to action for change.
The world needs Heroes to help those under-served rise to achieve their full potential. A Hero is an illustrious warrior; a person who shows great courage and is admired for achievements and noble qualities. Although you may not think of yourself as a hero, you have the potential to become one through this movement focused on giving youth access to resources and opportunities to create their own success stories while driving change to treat everyone with fairness and respect.
The Incentive Gift Card Council (IGCC) leadership in conjunction with the Retail Gift Card Association (RGCA) leadership have agreed that as an industry we need to take an active stance, not just in words but with action, to create more opportunities for underserved communities to learn about and become involved with our industry.
As part of our "Be a Hero" Initiative, we are unifying the philanthropy efforts of the IGCC and RGCA. Additionally, we have invited the Gift Card & Voucher Association of the UK (GCVA) to join in our initiative of creating a common Diversity & Inclusion Advocacy Board, which will consist of one chair position as well as three (3) board members and three (3) at large members from each organization.
This cross association Advocacy Board will be responsible for:
- Developing resources for encouraging diversity and inclusion within our organizations.
- Providing financial support through scholarships, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Supporting community programs geared towards mentoring youths.
- Building awareness of various career opportunities within our industry in underserved communities where we live and hold industry events.
In July IGCC and RGCA collaborated to start the conversation. Now, let's talk next steps.
- Members can complete this survey to choose participation on Advocacy Board or become a taskforce volunteer.
- The IGCC and RGCA Boards will select Advocacy Board members by September 15, 2020 and keep members updated on the "Be a Hero" Initiative.
President Barack Obama once said, "I have always believed that the single most important task we have as a nation is to make sure our young people can go as far as their dreams and hard work will take them. It is the single most important thing we can do for our country's future. And we have got to do it together."
We can be Heroes and support the dreams and hard work of our country's youth. If you are interested in serving on the the Advocacy Board or a taskforce, please complete this survey.
Take the survey & get involved